Sunday, February 27, 2011
And the Oscar Goes to...The Cookie Stuffed Cookies
I must admit that I was completely awestruck when I saw serious eats' nod to Picky Palate's Oreo stuffed cookies. They looked so amazingly gluttonous that I made myself try them this weekend in honor of Kimberly's big Oscar shebang. These things are like little eatable chocolate trophies! If you don't believe me, just try to eat one yourself and see how triumphant you'll feel.
When it came to making them, the process was pretty simple, but I will outline some helpful hints that I learned along the way.
1. Go lighter on the chocolate chips - yes...the recipe suggests 10 oz, but I think the more chips you use, the less workable/moldable dough you'll have. So in this case, less is more (relatively speaking).
2. To spice things up, I used a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
3. Let these babies bake for an extra 10 minutes than the recipe suggests. I first tried to bake them for just 13 minutes and after tasting them, they were way underdone and didn't have the pretty golden tone to them just yet.
4. Absolutely positively use double stuff Oreos instead of the classic version. Picky Palate suggests this too and I couldn't agree more.
5. Cut these beauties in half and share them with that special friend, significant other or maybe a new leading man/lady in your life? You'll feel a lot better about yourself than gobbling up the whole thing on your own. But if you wish to do the latter, who am I to stop ya?
Happy Oscar viewing...and eating! In my book, I already know who won.
Here's the cookie stuffed cookies recipe.