Monday, August 9, 2010
Tuna Tartine from Chef Scott Leibfried
In anticipation of the BlogHer conference this past weekend, Foodista and I got to go to a Bumble Bee Foods event at the Viking Demo Kitchen. Chef Scott Leibfried (if you’ve seen Hell’s Kitchen on FOX, you know who he is!) demonstrated how to make several easy dishes he concocted with Bumble Bee products. Here’s one of his recipes that’s party-appetizer ready. The recipe features Bumble Bee product, but feel free to substitute with whatever you want! You can follow the instructions below or watch Chef Scott work his culinary magic in this video.
- 1 can (5 oz) Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Tonno in Olive Oil
- Thinly sliced baguette crostini
- Olive tapenade (recipe below)
- Saffron aioli (recipe below)
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
- Parsley leaves
1. Thinly slice the baguette with a serrated knife and lay on a baking sheet.
2. Season, to taste, with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Bake at 300F until crispy, with little to no color.
- 1/2 c pitted green olives, drained
- 1/2 can anchovy fillets
- 1/2 tsp capers, drained
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Salt and pepper
1. Puree the olives, anchovies, capers and garlic in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add chopped parsley, olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Pinch of salt
1. Add salt to hot water
2. Steep the saffron in seasoned hot water for 10 minutes. Strain the saffron hairs from the water.
3. Combine the saffron water with the mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.
1. Remove the tuna from the can; do not break up into small pieces or shred.
2. Spread a small amount of the tapenade on the toasted crostini.
3. Top with a slice of tomato.
4. Add a chunk of tuna.
5. Squirt a drop of aioli on top.
6. Finish with a parsley leaf.